Soil is a mixture of organic matter, minerals, gases, liquids, and organisms that together support life. Earth’s body of soil, called the pedosphere, has four important functions:
• as a medium for plant growth
• as a means of water storage, supply and purification
• as a modifier of Earth’s atmosphere
• as a habitat for organisms
Through this Soil Profile Activity students will be able to:
(1) understand the complex nature of soil (components of different layers, and the creatures living in the soil), and
(2) see different types of soil including sandy soil, clay soil, loamy soil.
This activity allows students to share their prior understanding of the composition of soil with other students in a deeper level. By engaging in observation and argumentation, students have opportunities to explore and explain their ideas.